Philosophy & Reason
This subject combines the discipline of philosophy with the associated skills of critical thinking and logic.
Philosophy and Reason will help to:
- improve your ability to think clearly, analytically and creatively;
- provide a critical, open-minded and unprejudiced approach to the use of logical analysis;
- enhance the ability to appreciate the processes of science and the humanities by dealing directly with the underlying rational bases of such fields as natural and social science, mathematics, linguistics, law, and computing;
- improve your ability to interpret verbal information and to express yourself clearly; and
- improve your understanding of the underlying cultural, social, moral and religious structures of the world
Here is the course outline:
Introduction to this subject
2. Formal Logic
Weekly activities, exercises and Powerpoints
3. Critical Reasoning
Exploring argument structures, deductive vs inductive arguments, fallacies in arguments
Exploring theories and the development of ideas over the course of 3,000 years.
5. Past Exams - Internal